Crate Training Tips
One of the best ways to housebreak your dog is to use a crate.
- For most dogs a den is a safe and secure place.
- Most dogs will not soil where they stay.
- The crate is used as a den to teach your dog bladder and bowel control.
- The crate should be big enough for your dog to stand up, turn around, and lay back down comfortably.
- If the crate is too big for your puppy, put a cardboard box in the crate to decrease the available space.
- Place the crate next to your bed-your dog will feel more secure and you can hear him cry if he needs to go out.
- Feed and water your puppy a few hours before bedtime, but allow nothing to eat or drink after that time.
- Before you go to bed, take your dog outside to relieve himself.
- Hopefully your puppy will sleep longer with an empty bladder and bowel.
- Never use the crate for discipline or punishment, for you want the crate to be your dog’s safe, comfortable haven.